air conditioning, take it or leave it (page 2)

AuthorTopic
trout bum

To Quote?..."Beware Of Fugly Greek Women Bearing Gifts"...
7525 Posts
5/10
Posted - May 13 2011 : 10:59:29 AM
where I live, if I had to pick between AC or a heater, it would be a heater hands down.
Go To Top of page [Link]
grover

NorthernPleasures.ca - Adult Novelty Webstore - @NorthPleasures
22393 Posts
11/04
Posted - May 13 2011 : 11:08:47 AM
Can't live without it!
Go To Top of page [Link]
Gentleman Jon

4540 Posts
6/05
Posted - May 13 2011 : 12:37:07 PM
Take it!

Though I took my window unit out before last winter, and haven't gotten it put back in yet. And I did endure upper 80s and low 90s F earlier this week. But now it looks to be cool again for the whole length of the current 10 day forecast.

My apartment is in a converted, finished attic, with separate entrance. I get the cold wind in the winter, (the windows could definitely stand to be replaced) and the sun beating down on the roof in the summer, really heating the place up.

It would probably be easier to endure heat without air conditioning if I worked second shift. Get off at 11PM, come home, open up the windows, let the cooler night air in, and sleep something like 4AM to noon. Working 3rd, you're trying to sleep as the house gets to its hottest. Unless you go to bed within an hour or two of getting home. But I always preferred to sleep in the afternoons to evening when on 3rd. Usually.

But now my place of work is going to do away with the three 8-hour shifts on the production floor and go entirely to 12 hour shifts. 7 to 7. But that's pretty tangential to whether or not I like air conditioning.

Go To Top of page [Link]
Cornell Lingus

Carryin', contrarian, libertarian
10937 Posts
1/08
Posted - May 13 2011 : 01:02:43 PM
Give me that canned freon crap every summer day of the week. If nipples aren't sticking up, it ain't cold enough yet.
Go To Top of page [Link]
Tmkowal

I am...the forgotten one!!
22241 Posts
4/04
Posted - May 13 2011 : 05:56:34 PM
take it
Go To Top of page [Link]
HeyNow
Oblivious Moderator

Thanksgiving, man!
22152 Posts
1/03
Posted - May 14 2011 : 02:22:37 AM
My answer hasn't changed. Love it. Must have it. Love the cool air.

Have only needed it once so far this year though.

Go To Top of page [Link]
Jonny Jay
Outlier Moderator

スウィングガールズ
25523 Posts
8/09
Posted - May 14 2011 : 12:52:31 PM
Only in the car.
Go To Top of page [Link]
WardqueenJanine

1926 Posts
2/08
Posted - May 14 2011 : 04:55:54 PM
In the car it's vital but in the house I have no desire to have it.
Go To Top of page [Link]
JohnW

5581 Posts
6/08
Posted - May 15 2011 : 09:08:25 PM
Fortunately I don't need it most of the year, but I can't handle heat well at all so if its available I'll use it. Beats sweating all day and not getting any sleep.

Edited by - JohnW on 5/15/2011 9:09:03 PM

Go To Top of page [Link]
His Dudeness
All Business

Shut the fuck up, Donny!!
5157 Posts
4/10
Posted - May 16 2011 : 12:42:39 AM
Take it. It gets hot out here.
Go To Top of page [Link]
melpster

3889 Posts
5/05
Posted - May 16 2011 : 01:13:27 AM
Take it. I can endure hot weather but I have had this chronic hand/foot sweating problem my whole life where I can't get any writing or drawing done until the room is a certain temperature to keep my mitts cool and dry. Also my husband can only sleep if its super cold in the bedroom, so I have learned to adjust to where I've become the same way.
Go To Top of page [Link]
Tug3005

2594 Posts
12/10
Posted - May 16 2011 : 11:39:48 AM
Leave It. July and August are the only two months it's really needed, and only turn it on if having guests over. The basement is finished with a recreation/computer/kitchenette area and a bedroom and about June, we migrate to the lower level. Never have seen it hotter than 74 degrees down there and with a fan it's comfortable enough, besides saving the money on the utility bill, the A/C fucks with my sinuses.
Go To Top of page [Link]
Kimi Lixx

7880 Posts
6/01
Posted - May 16 2011 : 01:02:30 PM

Tug3005 wrote:
... we migrate to the lower level...

We're thinking about ultimately using our breezeway like that. It is always about 10-20 degrees cooler there than the rest of the house.
Go To Top of page [Link]
HeyNow
Oblivious Moderator

Thanksgiving, man!
22152 Posts
1/03
Posted - May 17 2011 : 02:54:51 AM
I get pissed off and CRABBY when I get too hot. Too hot is oh around 78 degrees. I'm sure RP agrees.
Go To Top of page [Link]
charn
fubar

Wang some wellies in a sticky wicket.
6212 Posts
12/09
Posted - May 18 2011 : 11:11:04 PM
Michigan has The Lake Effect, which is year-round mild weather, especially in the suburbs with big lawns to soak up the heat.

This will be my first summer in a pickup truck with a sliding rear window. I expect that to make a big difference in cooling airflow through the cabin.

Go To Top of page [Link]
wahine

Berlin
16171 Posts
10/11
Posted - Jun 9 2014 : 07:33:18 AM
Not necessary in Germany, but I have a portable fan for whenever a heat wave hits.
Go To Top of page [Link]
LCF

9233 Posts
1/05
Posted - Jun 9 2014 : 01:30:12 PM
We never thought we needed it even though our Springs and Summers are hot and with a high level of humidity (we have two rivers and the sea is 25 miles away) when the seasons were regular and the temperature raised softly and steadily we had the time to adapt to it , but now we have sudden peaks of even 15°C from a day to another.
We already found 2002 summer particularly hot and I knew the Sun was about to reach its peak the following year so we placed 4 units in the house , not all rooms have the air conditioning but that is enough we also placed new windows with double glasses to isolate the place and to save energy (it works in winter too). Good timing in 2003 we had constant 40° C (104° F) from May to September but very often well over 40° and a 90% humidity.
Many died throughout Europe that year, it was too hot for too long. We didn't suffer.
Three years ago our air conditioning went out for different reasons we ignored it , but this year the Sun will reach another peak in its eleven years cycle , so we fixed them they finished last week. Good timing we've been hit by a heatwave and two days ago the temperature raised around 30° to 33° C (86° to 91° F)so we used it.

Usually 33° aren't a problem , we're used to it unless you pass from 17° to 30° overnight and this is our case

Edited by - LCF on 6/9/2014 1:34:48 PM

Go To Top of page [Link]
Goldstein

"Goodbye, kids."
4128 Posts
8/10
Posted - Jun 9 2014 : 01:40:08 PM
In Florida air-conditioning is absolutely necessary.

Heat, sometimes but rarely.
I handle all my heater needs with a small inexpensive space heater in the man cave.

Go To Top of page [Link]
Gore Gore Girl
Doctor of the Erotic Arts

www.goregoregirl.com
7721 Posts
1/09
Posted - Jun 9 2014 : 02:21:26 PM
AC is necessary here, also. The energy company sends letters out asking you to donate money to people who can't afford AC. I know people who didn't have AC for a spell and would go and spend a lot of their time at the library in the summer, or the cinema if they could afford it.

With all that said, people overuse AC here something awful. I should not be shivering in a sweater trying to eat my lunch.

Edited by - Gore Gore Girl on 6/9/2014 2:23:04 PM

Go To Top of page [Link]
Kimi Lixx

7880 Posts
6/01
Posted - Jun 9 2014 : 03:07:51 PM
Wearing a damned sweater to work. I hate it! It's finally half-way warm after freakin' 6 months of frigid winter and everyone wants to cool the place down. What is WRONG with people?
Go To Top of page [Link]
wahine

Berlin
16171 Posts
10/11
Posted - Jun 9 2014 : 03:50:06 PM
Quote LCF:
the following year so we placed 4 units in the house , not all rooms have the air conditioning but that is enough we also placed new windows with double glasses to isolate the place and to save energy (it works in winter too).

This is exactly what my mom has done in her apartment. A couple years ago she installed double glasses on the windows, and she only has 2 AC units, in the living and in her bedroom, which she also uses to heat in the winter, since gas prices went up and most people in her building don't wanna pay for central heating anymore.

I remember last year, Rome had constant 40°C, my boss was working there all summer and heavily complaining, while I was in Paris where we got weird cold weather and endless storms with torrents or rain. I was wearing a wool sweater and using heating in May and September.

Here in Berlin the rain didn't dissipate the heat wave yet. It's 27°C in the evening (in the high 80s°F) but it feels like much, much more cuz of the tremendous atmospheric pressure. It feels like we're under the infamous "bell jar" pressuring us down from above, which is actually typical for Chicago in the spring. I actually can feel the pressure in my ears. :-O

Later on I might break in my portable fan, but it's not the temp that's bothering me. But I can feel a hell of a storm coming.

Go To Top of page [Link]
LCF

9233 Posts
1/05
Posted - Jun 9 2014 : 05:03:52 PM
^
hope the Alps will be enough to stop it

Right now it is almost 11 PM here we still have 25°C ,, which out of humidity would be my favourite temperature , the AC in my room is set at 24° but I may raise it to 27° when it's 40° outside , and lower it to 24 later , a too dramatic drop from extreme heat is unhealthy , I really don't get how people have their AC set at 18° C , a drop of 21° may even be dangerous it's a shock for the body , if you are wearing just a T-shirt it may even trigger a biological response for cold , and with a body set to make you warmer when you go out and find 40° you will suffer the hell either literally and biologically.

I try to have a moderate drop, let my body adjust and maybe set a little bit lower if needed.

BTW I think I'm going to get a cold shower before hitting the bed later

EDIT to use a heater in May and September is forbidden here LOL

Edited by - LCF on 6/9/2014 5:10:47 PM

Go To Top of page [Link]
wahine

Berlin
16171 Posts
10/11
Posted - Jun 9 2014 : 05:28:47 PM
Quote LCF:
hope the Alps will be enough to stop it

Lol, they didn't stop Hannibal.

Looks like it's warmer here than in Rome, which doesn't make much sense.

For me the thing is, I took a few days off, slept tons, hang with Stu and didn't work at all, and tomorrow, after the national holiday extended weekend, REALLY gotta do some phone calls and go collect some packages from the post office, which otherwise will get back to the sender on the day after tomorrow if I don't move my a$$ and go get them. The scary part is that I haven't combed my hair for days, and with all this humidity it's become all short and tangled up around the top of my head like a brillo pad. Scares the shit outta me how I'm gonna entangle it, but I guess I can tie it into a bun and deal with it on another day.

But maybe I should cook something to eat, haven't eaten in days, with the heat and the excessive sleeping. I don't wanna faint tomorrow or anything, while running errands.

Go To Top of page [Link]
Boogie With Stu

9304 Posts
1/13
Posted - Jun 9 2014 : 07:39:31 PM
It isn't "necessary" here except maybe for a few weeks, but without it I go nuts. Especially since my bedroom has a west-facing window and the afternoon sun does its best to turn it into an oven.

Edited by - Boogie With Stu on 6/9/2014 7:39:56 PM

Go To Top of page [Link]
Savoy

4555 Posts
12/06
Posted - Jun 14 2014 : 01:34:10 PM
Take it. In Houston it's a necessity.

All ya'll northern people can take my heater. I use it maybe once a year. Even then I hate it - stuffy, dry hot air. Yuck.

Go To Top of page [Link]
mcewan

12358 Posts
8/08
Posted - Jun 14 2014 : 01:50:25 PM
I love the heat but air air conditioning is definitely needed - Take it !!!!
Go To Top of page [Link]
Leyden

Take a walk on the Wyld side, Lou
11812 Posts
1/04
Posted - Jun 14 2014 : 11:50:44 PM
Here in AZ, it's a necessity. I don't think I used my heat once last winter.
Go To Top of page [Link]
gejothho

818 Posts
4/01
Posted - Jun 15 2014 : 10:51:46 AM
Usually only use the AC at night. Fans and open windows during the day. If it gets more than 90 outside during the day, the AC gets turned on.
Go To Top of page [Link]
I Love Nicki Hunter

295 Posts
10/11
Posted - Jun 15 2014 : 02:25:25 PM
Take it. Here in Texas the daily temperatures are in the 90s and before too long will be in the 100s +. I only turn it on just before I go to sleep to keep my utility bill down. I have a friend who does without all year long because he's to cheap to pay for it.
Go To Top of page [Link]
urthoughts

IN THOUGHTS WE TRUST 🇺🇸
3685 Posts
7/12
Posted - Jun 17 2014 : 12:56:08 AM
Take it
Go To Top of page [Link]
aclayfan

2848 Posts
8/11
Posted - Jun 17 2014 : 09:47:46 AM
take it
one of the best inventions of man
Go To Top of page [Link]
charn
fubar

6212 Posts
12/09
Posted - Jun 24 2014 : 02:53:44 PM
In many old homes, especially in warmer climates, I see lower windowsills. A New Orleans house on This Old House has windows almost on the floor. My windows are the lowest of anywhere I've lived, so that is probably adequate for my life expectancy.
Go To Top of page [Link]
SandraRomainFan

99 Posts
4/12
Posted - Jun 30 2014 : 05:29:51 PM
using it today I hate the heat
Go To Top of page [Link]
urthoughts

IN THOUGHTS WE TRUST 🇺🇸
3685 Posts
7/12
Posted - Jun 30 2014 : 05:53:53 PM
Glad i have it today
Go To Top of page [Link]
BigBoy

5049 Posts
1/03
Posted - Jun 30 2014 : 06:58:59 PM
Today I'd take it -- at 108 degrees
Go To Top of page [Link]
Boogie With Stu

9304 Posts
1/13
Posted - Jun 30 2014 : 07:28:24 PM
^^ +1
Go To Top of page [Link]
trout bum

To Quote?..."Beware Of Fugly Greek Women Bearing Gifts"...
7525 Posts
5/10
Posted - Jul 2 2014 : 06:00:05 PM
Just returned from a 30 mile pedal and checked the outside temp and it was 88 F with 21% humidity. It certainly isn't unbearable. Fortunately our little nest is super insulated and it was a pleasant 72 F inside. The nice thing about living in the mountains at altitude is it cools down nicely after the sun sets. We generally just open the atrium doors to our master bedroom when we go to bed and we don't have any problems with excessive heat.
Now, AC in a car is a major plus, but during the summer I rarely drive anywhere in town as I rely on biking pretty much everywhere except when we travel out of town.

Go To Top of page [Link]
von_swine

Dominance & Persecution.
1899 Posts
1/04
Posted - Jul 2 2014 : 08:09:26 PM
ok, seeing as the OP was done TEN years ago (my gawd), I was pleasantly surprised to see this topic being kicked around again. now that I live in a different place and part of the SFV, the Chateau DOES have AC, two units actually. and as hellish as it can get, I usually only break down and crank the AC if a heat wave hits say, day 5-6...OR if it's just too hot to go to sleep. it's also a must have on shoot days or else there would be nothing but sweat and limp dicks on my couches, lol.

so, ten years later, how do I REALLY feel about AC? I still don't like it, & it does affect my sinuses, but I'll use it accordingly whenever push comes to shove. so I guess I'll take it,..now & then, even tho I mostly do without it. fu*k it, I'll LEAVE IT once again!.. no more middle ground/hemming & hawing. this summer I'm going sans AC unless I'm shooting a scene. I say I hold out 3-4 weeks tops..lol. lates, von S.

Go To Top of page [Link]
bono-ONE

Taylor Vixen showing off in Hawaii May 2012
17303 Posts
8/00
Posted - Jul 2 2014 : 08:15:54 PM
As a previous poster said in AZ it's pretty much a necessity. 105 plus almost every day now for the next month or so or so, lol. I also rarely use the heater during winter.
Go To Top of page [Link]
wahine

Berlin
16171 Posts
10/11
Posted - Jul 2 2014 : 09:00:16 PM
Here in Berlin I'm almost freezing my ass off. High 60°s inside of the apartment, heating not working, under 60° outside.

Wearing thick wool socks right now. Plus it's so humid under the fog, I've washed a Tshirt and a pj top and they've been dripping wet for days.

Go To Top of page [Link]
Roads To Moscow
Dianic Moderator

Wicked Pictures,Vouyer Media, Axel Braun Productions, Marc Dorcel, JoyBear Pictures, abbywinters.com
12452 Posts
7/05
Posted - Jul 3 2014 : 11:02:35 PM
Despite being San Fernando Valley adjacent, Box Canyon is considerably cooler. We haven't run the AC in 2014; just keeping the upstairs windows open and catching the breeze does the trick. I suspect this will be the month we give in and turn it on though.
Go To Top of page [Link]
wahine

Berlin
16171 Posts
10/11
Posted - Jul 4 2014 : 08:55:30 AM
After the low 60°s the other day, another heat wave just hit, so I woke up to high 80s°F in the shade, outside, sun breaking through the balmy fog. Just under 70°F inside. Might need to break in the ventilator if the temp goes up.

Edited by - wahine on 7/4/2014 8:57:20 AM

Go To Top of page [Link]
urthoughts

IN THOUGHTS WE TRUST 🇺🇸
3685 Posts
7/12
Posted - Jul 5 2014 : 12:23:54 PM
Great day here !!! No ac needed yeeeaaaaaa
Go To Top of page [Link]
wahine

Berlin
16171 Posts
10/11
Posted - Jul 5 2014 : 12:34:44 PM
80° degrees inside, high 80°s outside, looks like a heat storm upcoming.

I got out the electric fan, might need to use it later on, esp. when working out.

Go To Top of page [Link]
charn
fubar

6212 Posts
12/09
Posted - Jul 5 2014 : 02:12:16 PM
I just did a different type of air conditioning, the loud and stinky type.
Go To Top of page [Link]
JohnW

5581 Posts
6/08
Posted - Jul 5 2014 : 05:26:16 PM
My fan is usually running from May to September, and I don't even live in a warm climate. Its just something about my body temperature or humidity or whatever that needs that breeze during summertime, no matter the actual temperature.
Go To Top of page [Link]
wahine

Berlin
16171 Posts
10/11
Posted - Jul 5 2014 : 05:38:10 PM
It just got more manageable here. Just under 80°F and windy, in a beautiful night.

One of those nights that makes you kinda melancholic, or maybe it's just me.

Go To Top of page [Link]
wahine

Berlin
16171 Posts
10/11
Posted - Jul 19 2014 : 12:44:23 PM
Mid 90s°F in the shade in Berlin.

Without my electric fan, I would be dead by now.

images-7.jpeg

Go To Top of page [Link]
jayo

9508 Posts
7/04
Posted - Jul 19 2014 : 01:26:28 PM
I love A/C. If I were independently wealthy I'd seal all the windows and run the air entirely for climate control. Would do wonders to reduce dust and other airborne crap too.

Since I'm not, and I can't afford to run it, I only turn the A/C on either as a periodic test as preventive maintenance, or when it's so G-D miserable that I can't stand it anymore. But usually doors/windows open and fans going is enough.

I can count the number of times on one hand that I ran the heater anywhere I've lived, and it's always for short periods just for preventive maintenance.

I will the heater in the car in the mornings when I'm frozen. But that's a different case.

Edited by - jayo on 7/19/2014 1:27:53 PM

Go To Top of page [Link]
wahine

Berlin
16171 Posts
10/11
Posted - Jul 21 2014 : 06:38:01 AM
During the weekend it was approaching 100°F here. Viva ze ventilator.
Go To Top of page [Link]
Page 2 of 2 First

All Forums -> Polls
Previous topic: Where do you cum when you jerk off?

Next topic: How Does Your Garden Grow?

Jump To: